Moving between houses is without a doubt a monumental task. It involves a large number of very important tasks which need to be completed. Even though a relocation consists of many different events, there is one which everyone strongly dislikes. This is, of course, packing, and the things that come with it. Thanks to so many demanding tasks related to it, it is surely the biggest time killer in every move. However, it is something that absolutely must be done. If you want to hire good Denver area movers, you need to make sure your home is properly packed. Given how hectic the process is, there are always packing mistakes when moving locally. Making mistakes can cause you to lose a lot of precious time, and deeply affect your move. Luckily, with good preparation, you can avoid these mishaps and move like a pro in record time!
One of the biggest packing mistakes when moving locally is not having a good plan
You simply can’t start packing without devising a clear and streamlined packing strategy. Packing without rhyme or reason will only result in messy boxes, lots of stress, and waste of time. All of this clearly points to the fact that you shouldn’t even attempt such a thing. Instead, make a clear and concise packing list and stick to it. Divide the process into smaller, easy to achieve tasks, and take them on one at a time. How you organize your days depends on your situation, but if you do it well, time will be your friend. Besides a solid packing schedule, there are two more things to keep in mind. If you want to avoid an unnecessary mess, start your packing with the rooms you use the least, then move toward your daily space. Also, try packing the biggest items first, such as fridges and closets, to make ample room.
Procrastinating can easily catch up to you
Leaving the packing process for last is not only irresponsible but also quite dangerous. When it comes to moving, it’s never a good idea to leave something for later. Just like hiring movers Parker CO, packing needs to be done in advance and on time. The sooner you start tackling your moving tasks, the less stress you’ll experience, and the happier you’ll be. The simplest solution is, of course, to start packing as soon as you possibly can. If you can do it today, do it. Every task you leave for the next day will pile up and make you lose time. To beat the clock, all you need to do is stick to a few principles. Always pack items you rarely use first. This gets them out of your way early on. It’s also good to pack in small portions. A few boxes every day goes a long way.
Mishandling your items also leads to packing mistakes when moving locally
Yet another example of how mistakes can occur is failing to follow certain packing guidelines. Different items need a different approach, and treating them all the same way is absolutely not allowed. Here’s how people often mishandle their items and thus make packing mistakes when moving locally:
- Not paying attention to fragile items. – Breakables require your utmost attention in the packing process if you want them to survive in one piece. Using plenty of packing paper and bubble wrap ensures that your items have enough padding and as such, no room to shake around during transport.
- Packing books without the weight in mind. – When packed together in a box, books are surprisingly heavy. To easily move books, pack them in several smaller boxes rather than just one large box. You’ll be surprised how easy they are to carry then.
- Not disassembling furniture. – If a large piece of furniture can be dismantled, always do so. Getting a large couch out of the house and into the moving truck is easier if the item is broken down into a few pieces.
Besides paying attention to your items, you need to do the same with your packing materials. Unsafe packing is yet another cause of moving mistakes. The most frequent packing errors are:
- Ignoring the box size. – Use small and medium boxes for heavier items and large boxes for lighter things. This is the best way to pack a box. Mixing up these rules brings the risk of property damage and moving injuries.
- Not reinforcing the boxes. – Even though a box can look sturdy, it may still collapse under the weight of whatever is inside. This is why you need to focus on weak spots. Reinforcing the bottom and the sides of your box guarantees the safety of its content during the move.
Failing to label your boxes can cause confusion later on
Lastly, one of the most common packing mistakes when moving locally is not labeling your boxes or doing it improperly. Even if you have a good memory, you simply can’t keep track of every individual box. Besides, the layout of your new home may end up slightly different than how you imagined it. No matter how organized and observant you are, a mountain of unlabeled boxes can confuse even the best of us. Take a marker and write down the contents of each box, the room it came from, and any additional information needed. This should be done on at least two sides of the box for better visibility. If you want to go the extra mile, use color coding for each room. This way, you will easily keep track of everything. Your entire move, and especially the unpacking process, will be smooth sailing from start to finish.